I left this morning bright and early (3:30 AM...yuck!) for the airport and on to Ayacucho. The same lady who checked in our bags also took our tickets at the gate AND was our flight attendant. Crazy! One of the flight attendants was really nice...she was trying to learn English and talked to us for a bit. Her dream is to work for a big airline in America, which is a pretty big dream, so I thought that was really cool. Last night the power went out in all of Lime, which was a bit scary...apparently the last time that happened was when the Shining Path movement was going on (10 years ago), so there were all sorts of suspicions as to what was going on, especially since their a very volatile situation right now in the jungle between the Peruvian government and the indians. But I can't find anything about it in the news, so it was probably just a power outage.


Yesterday I spent some time in Miraflores...I went to the Museo de Oro, which was outstanding (I'll post pictures later). It was definitely worth the $5 entrance fee. I hung out for a bit and then had a surf lesson, which was a lot of fun. I like Lima, but the guys here completely lack respect for women. They do not know how to leave them alone when they ask, and they don't understand the concept that when a girl has a boyfriend, she doesn't want anything to do with another guy. Its totally obnoxious...some of the guys are nice, but sadly there is a large number of macho hombres. Everyone told me that things will be better in Ayacucho...the guys may whistle at you, but they actually respect your personal space (What a concept). So I'm definitely glad to be here. I went for a run...the altitude didn't feel too bad, and there is a gym here that offers spin classes. :-) yay! (Yes exercise is a requisite for keeping me happy) The home base is very nice...much better than my hostel, and everyone in the program seems very nice. Apparently they have a tour person come and they offer mini weekend trips for us...so I might actually get to see everything I want: Machu Pichu, Lake Titicaca, the Nazca Lines and the Rainforest! It all depends on how far I can make my $ go. Have a happy week!

On a Random side note, Congrats to my sister and Trent...I am now an aunt! Their baby girl, Rylynn Avery was born a few days ago. :-)

Categories:

Leave a Reply