Today when I woke up to go run with a couple of the army/ROTC guys, Travis (the major in charge of them) said it'd probably be best if we don't go. Apparently he woke up at 3:45 to a bunch of people yelling and starting a fire in the street...so I went back to bed. After breakfast, we were informed that we won't be going to our placements today due to the strike. I went for a run later, because the director told me it was safe. A bunch of people were in the streets, but very few cars. I saw a few tires lit on fire and there were a ton of big rocks in the street, but everyone was in a good mood. A bunch of people were out in the street playing soccer etc, apparently even the big protest downtown was never out of control...everyone told me that people looked happy. Weird. Tomorrow we are on a strike again. The strike today was because of local grievances against the government...tomorrow's strike is a nation-wide strike against the mess that's happening in the rainforest in the northern part of the country. I think I'll finish the book "eat, pray, love" with all the free time I'll have.


My placement is alright...having only worked one day, I'm not quite sure of what all I'll get to do. Hopefully my clinic will be busier, than it was yesterday, because only seeing 6 kids in 4 hours was mildly painful. 

The lady who teaches the spin class I go to wants to exchange spin formats sometime...her classes seem like kick boxing on a spin class, as she makes us do all sort of weird punching/pushups/etc. I haven't decided whether or not I like it yet. She is really nice though, and her and her husband(?) want me to go mountain biking with them-they have an extra bike. I think that sounds really cool, but it will probably wait until I know them a little better.

Sunday we are going on a Llama trek where I plan to play with baby llamas for about 6 hours as we hike up a mountain. The next weekend a bunch of us are going on a trip to the coast where we'll sandboard, visit a winery, play in the sand dunes and visit the Nazca Lines. I'm super-excited about that trip! :-) I know for sure the Logan (my bunk-bed buddy) and Adam (our UK friend) are going...I think Elizabeth (1st grade teacher in Dallas) is planning on going too! I'll be sure and take plenty of pictures.

I promise I'll upload more photos soon...the internet cafe next door had a horrible connection and no USB adapter, so I couldn't do it yesterday, and today I'm borrowing somone's computer at the house and don't want to use it for too long.

Take care in Tejas/the E.E.U.U.!


Categories:

Leave a Reply